Saturday, February 16, 2013

Maps in transit

After an early night I woke up early to start getting my shit together. First on the list is buying the maps for this trip. I have had my eye on them for the past 9 months but this morning was when I pulled the trigger. Total cost for the entire Transamerican route was $138 including priority mail. Should have them delivered by this time next week.

Also whilst being on the adventure cycling association they have a pretty nice video created by one of their partners. Some very good tips in here and delivered in a quirky way.


As soon as the maps arrive I will start making an inventory of the remaining gear that I need to get (pocket knife, handlebar bag, compass etc) and to make sure all flights are booked in and out of the US.

Provisional start date is now May 13. Just over 2 months to go!

For some extra inspiration on these cold winter nights I have found that someone uploaded the whole BBC series of "the man who cycled the world" on YouTube following Mark Beaumont as he cycled from Paris around the world back to Paris in 194 days 17 hours. (He is only a year younger than me but did this when he was 25)


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying again...

    Be sure to check out the How to Read Adventure Cycling Maps video found on our Route page, too to get the most out of your maps: http://cyclingtransamericatrail.blogspot.com/2013/02/maps-in-transit.html

    Best,
    .Jenn Milyko.
    Senior Cartographer
    Adventure Cycling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn - am looking forward to them getting delivered! Will definitely check out all the information on the ACA site to get the most out of them!

      Delete